Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Strange Fantastic Life

I walked down the sidewalk with my son the other day as he carried a 4 foot long stuffed nylon covered toy fish and made his way to the truck to go to the store for groceries.  He also took with him his favorite towel that he draped over his head for that extra little bit of comfort, and in the hand not occupied by the fish, he tightly squeezed what was left of his snack......3 peach slices mushed together with a handful of Captain Crunch cereal.  oK!  Off we go to the store!  I looked up and noticed a few cars slow down as they passed my house doing a bit of rubber necking at the sight that I hadn't even thought about.  To me, to the rest of my family, and to my son this was normal behavior.  In my house, not only is it normal, it is celebrated, allowed, and embraced. 

My normal thought process would've included thinking nasty thoughts about the adults that stare like idiots at the special needs child.  Normally I would've become incensed that these people had no manners.  Then I looked again and giggled to myself..........ok, that does look really funny!  Not only does it look hilarious, but this kid can't see where he's going according to the passers by because of the towel over his head.  They don't know he's blind.  They don't know that he has this path memorized.  Heck!  They might not even realize it's a fake fish!  So I lightened up and thought to myself what a crazy, weird, nutty and wonderful life that I have.

My son brings whimsy where it would be solemn.  He brings laughter when no one else dares.  He brings the unexpected when life could get boring.  He brings milestones that other's thought couldn't be reached.  He brings meaning to the word trust.  He brings pricelessness to a random hug or touch of the hand.  He brings appreciation to a world previously taken for granted.  He brings innocence where only cynics existed before. 

My life is better because he is here.  My courage to go on every day exists because of his bravery.  My purpose on this earth is defined as his Mom and I can think of nothing better or more gratifying to do with the rest of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment